Wednesday, April 5, 2017

WDW Trip Report: Animal Kingdom Sketches

Oh yes, it is time!   Time to share what me and my little Moleskine Watercolor Sketchbook got up to while in Disney's Animal Kingdom:

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

Wild Anhinga spotted on the river, a duck (Pochard?), and a really cool plant.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

More abstract studies of another Anhinga.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

On the subject of birds, there is a new presentation at Dinoland USA that features live birds, is essentially a sequel to my beloved Flights of Wonder, and matter-of-factly presents birds as a kind of dinosaur.  This... okay, Dinoland still makes me drink heavily, but this is a very nice change for the better.  More like this, please.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

Flights of Wonder is still awesome and I finally got to sit in the "I'm glad I am wearing a hat" seats.  Only thing is, I thought I'd heard that the show had finally received a rewrite, but it seems essentially the same.  I tell you, the Dr. Guano story is getting as taxing as Little Red back in the day.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

The Komodo Dragon was surprisingly spry, and the Lion Macaques are a new addition.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

A graceful Tree Monitor, a handsome Jungle Fowl, and a Mystery Bovine!  (All Ears identifies it as a Banteng, while the Cast Member I asked called it a Water Buffalo.  Either way, nice model.)

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

An Argus Pheasant and Crowned Pigeon...

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

...and some studies from my Safari photos.

2.21.17 - Animal Kingdom Studies

Bonus: A Limpkin I met at the Boardwalk docks...

2.20.17 - EPCOT Manatee Studies

And a surprisingly graceful Manatee at the Living Seas.